Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Writing

I think writing should be a four letter word. I hate writing. I have never enjoyed writing. I know some people who think of writing as an artistic outlet, similar to drawing, painting or sculpting. I personally see no connection. I see much more similarity, in my experiece of writing, to hurtling china plates agains a brick wall. Demolishing china might actually be more fun, though. At least something happens and it's quick and instant. My writing is more like the tires on a heavy old car attempting to pull out of thick wet red clay mud in the south. It's messy, frustrating and sometimes feels impossible. So what kind of career have I chosen? One which requires constant writing.

I'm good at the face to face portion of my career. Really good. And I'm good at being open to constantly learning and striving. I am not good at writing. And that's not completely true, because when I do write, and struggle and thrash about on paper, it does end up becoming pretty good. But I do not find any pleasure in the process. I find continuous surprise at myself that I have been able to do it once it's done. Any tips for finding pleasure in writing? Any other career ideas (other than the inevitable culinary school)?

No comments: