Friday, September 19, 2008

NO CHEESE FOR YOU!

This is just an update on my pimento cheese endeavors. Getting around here is very exhausting as everything takes a lot more effort. Walking every where, even to do laundry, really takes it out of me and I really don't want to carry groceries 10 blocks back to my apartment. So I tried to grocery shop just in my neighborhood (Chinatown).

I feel like a foreigner. No one speaks English. No signs are in English. Fresh fish, dead fish, live fish, dried fish, dried shrimp, fish bones, etc are readily available every three feet-right out in the middle of the sidewalk. I found several little groceries and walked through--there's a lot of bok choy and other green things, fish of course, rice (soooooooooo much rice) and some fruit. That's it. No cheese. No one sells cheese, mayo or pimentos. No one sells loaves of bread. If you know this area and know where I should go, please tell me.

So, I bought a bag of rice, a bottle of soy sauce, a jar of Chinese Five-spice and a bunch of green onions. I'll use my rice cooker, since we STILL HAVE NO KITCHEN! I've taken to making tea by running the bathtub water on the hottest setting. If you've seen season 3 of weeds, where the town has to evacuate their ridiculously posh homes and stay in the excessively lavish evacuation center and they think it's just like the Superdome after Katrina--I'm living like that kind of refugee! Compared to the rest of the world, I'm a spoiled little white American girl, but this 3 weeks of no kitchen feels like camping.

This spoiled little white girl is rather homesick and really want to see Atlanta again soon.

1 comment:

RevSeekingWisdom said...

It doesn't sound much fun to me this "camping" in your apartment. I wish I could help out in some way. Know I am thinking of you and am proud of your trying a new adventure. I trust it will get easier--I wish I could tell you when that would be. :)