Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Thank God I found the Kmart!

Today is Wednesday and I moved to NYC from Decatur, GA on Monday. It's been a crazy adventure already. I really wish I had photos of my arrival b/c it was ridiculous! I had two duffle bags as big as me, a bike box packed with my bike and all my linens, a giant backpack, a laptop bag stuffed with computer and full sized pillow and a large rolling suitcase.

For those of you saying "I thought you were flying on Sunday!" It's true, that was the plan, but I volunteered my seat when the flight was overbooked and got two free round trip tickets on Airtran, one more night at home and I managed to check an additional bag in the morning for free! How fabulous is that?!

I was greeted at my new apartment by human feces in the entry way and that was exciting. That evening some of my friends made drinks, wonderful salads and drove me to Red Hook in Brooklyn. We picnicked in the park with the latin food trucks that sell amazing tacos and other treats. It was fabulous!!! When I returned home, I was greeted again by the poo and also by a giant rat running around the poo down in the cellar level where my tenement apartment is. And I couldn't get my key to work. Good times. Welcome to New York.

But all is well now. This afternoon I rode the 6 train one stop too far when I was trying to find the Union Square farmers market after work. The stop just after it, the Astor Place stop, has a Kmart! I don't really want to shop at Kmart when I have so many other options here, but it does somehow feel like a security blanket to know it's there if I need it. I did find the farmers market, too, which was also fabulous.

3 comments:

Deb said...

Welcome to NYC indeed! Sounds like you're getting a proper introduction! I love the city and try to go once or twice a year to visit my sis and any friends in the area. One of my best friends from HS is there too, so if you need some help finding your way around or just want to meet some new people, let me know and I'll get you some contact info.

Elise said...

I hope you had a papusa and a fresh fruit drink. I am dreaming of watermelon drinks and papusas right now. There is nothing like it!

-Elise

Unknown said...

Welcome to NYC, Leslie. I hope you are getting settled in. I have a female writer friend who lives in the city (I think the Bronx.). I could give you her contact info. if you would like it. She is a fascinating woman, nearer your age probably than mine. I would of course let her know you wanted to contact. Just say the word.